History | Stories | Photos | Contact |
Welcome to the PH-67 Village Green / Chester (Media) Nike Base website! If you've got anything to share, please send an email to email@example.com
The PH-67 Village Green / Chester (Media) base was built in 1955 by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Missile Master was located at PH-64DC Pedricktown, NJ. The base was manned by the Army until 1960 when the Pennsylvania Army National Guard took over [base reassignment documents.] The base was to be upgraded to the Nike-Hercules system but it never came to be, and in 1964, PH-67 was deactivated along with the other Nike-Ajax only sites in the area.
What does PH-67 stand for? Obviously "PH" stands for the Philadelphia Defense Area, but the 67 actually stands for the bases location -- 67 degrees from Philadelphia (City Hall) based on a 100 degree circle (0/100 N, 25 E, 50 S, 75 W.) The Philadelphia Defense Area included the cities of Philadelphia, PA, Chester, PA, and Camden, NJ.
Besides work on the base, the servicemen of PH-67 were very active in the community. Some were members of the Marcus Hook Fire Co., others took part in community football, basketball, baseball, and bowling teams. The men also took part in local church services, Red Cross blood drive, March of Dimes, and even attened some local schools.
The technical information below was used with permission from the book, Rings of Supersonic Steel - Air Defenses of the United States Army 1950-1979 by Mark L. Morgan and Mark A. Berhow. The book is available at www.holeintheheadpress.com.
Current Map of the Area
View PH-67 Village Green Nike Base in a larger map
Help keep ph15.org online!
No donation is too big or too small.
Website created by Chris Milewski to preserve the history of PH-67.
This website is hosted by www.ph15.org